Will Trika be harmful for pregnant women?

Question
any problem if we take trika 0.5 tablet to pregnent womens?
any side effect for taking one time trika0.5 tablts fr pregnent womens n hw many tablts we should give fr a XXXXXXX sleep?
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later

Trika contains alprazolam which is a sedative and is contraindicated in pregnancy. It can potentially cause fetal harm when administered to pregnant women. It is assumed to be capable of causing an increased risk of congenital abnormalities when administered to a pregnant woman during the first trimester. It is a category D drug and should not be taken in pregnancy. Hence it is not prescribed and should not be taken in pregnancy.

Treatment for patients with anxiety and for inducing sleep should be initiated with a dose of 0.25 to 0.5 mg given three times daily. But it should be taken only under medical supervision.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Follow-up: Will Trika be harmful for pregnant women? 7 minutes later
only for one time i shoud give trika 0.5 tablt fr pregnent women

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 41 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Trika can be teratogenic and cause congenital malformation if given in first trimester of pregnancy when organogenesis (organ development) occurs. It should not be given unless prescribed by a doctor.