Will Postinor affect blood cholesterol level in a blood test? Morning after pill after unprotected sex for premenopausal woman?

Question
Have a blood test on Friday and may need to take postinor today, will this effect blood test for cholestoral
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Will Postinor affect blood cholesterol level in a blood test? Morning after pill after unprotected sex for premenopausal woman? 3 minutes later
Condom broke whilst having sex, unsure whether I will get pregnant. Am pre-menaporsal and having period every 3 weeks. Not sure whether to take morning after pill. Period due in 1 week but too late to take morning after pill then.

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

No, postinor would not affect the normal levels of cholesterol. It will not elevate levels.

Hypertension is precautionary situation when Postinor is taken. Although no danger, but one needs careful supervision. And I would advise you would need to inform your doctor about it. Maybe a call to him would do.

Condom break is a potential situation for pregnancy.
Morning after pill can taken with any period frequency, only criteria that to be taken within 72 hrs of act. Yes, the efficacy of the pill would decrease if taken beyond 72 hrs.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Follow-up: Will Postinor affect blood cholesterol level in a blood test? Morning after pill after unprotected sex for premenopausal woman? 24 minutes later
Have had 2 pregnancies, both I was on Clomid for ovulations purposes.
Don't want to take the morning after pill at all. In two minds as thinking I possibly wouldnt be able to get pregnant but once you have had ovulation problems are they usually for life or can it change. Am trying to avoid taking the Postinor-2 but my husband and I are in our 50's and do not want another pregnancy.
As you can tell, I am unsure what to do. Take the tablet anyway for precautionary measures or think it is unprobable that I would get pregnant due to ovulation problems 25 years ago. Do you want to effect my blood pressure problems by taking this.
What do I do???

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, your concern is genuine. But, the risk of pregnancy cannot be ruled out. Whatever ovulation history you might have, the chances of getting pregnant are unique and some rules need to be followed in medicine.

Yes, the risk of BP is there, but it needs careful weighing against taking it too.

Because, in the possibility that pregnancy does happen, then an abortion may not be in the best interest of your health at this age.

I may be missing out on vital clues of your examination - by just reading your issue in here. Hence, a consultation is needed now.

Sincerely,