Will Loratadine and Azithromycin affect my birth control pill?

Question
will loratadine and azithromycin effect my birth control pill?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Getting Pregnant

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later
Loratadine and azithromycin both are inducers of hepatic enzymes and thus increase the metabolism of all the oral contraceptive pills- both combined pills and progesterone only pills.
This makes these contraceptive pills less effective. You need to take an alternative contraceptive measure for 3-5 days after you have finished taking Azithromycin.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Will Loratadine and Azithromycin affect my birth control pill? 23 minutes later
The birth control I'm taking is seasonique would that apply to this pill since I only have a period every 3 months?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes it will apply to seasonique also as it is also a combination birth control pill.
You need to take additional alternative measures for birth control. Do continue taking your oral pill as scheduled.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Regards.