Will I lose the weight that I have gained after stopping Clofranil for anxiety?

I was on Olanzipine for 7 months but after the anxiety symptoms subsided it was stopped. However, I am on Clofranil 10 mg. and have noticed a lot of weight gain ( 10 kgs). Is clofranil responsible for it? Once clofranil is stopped will i lose the weight that I have gained? I execrcise hard, watch what i eat and my thyroid is normal. Please advise.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 59 minutes later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 36 year old female.
• Known case of depression and anxiety.

Olanzapine is usually not used only for depression and anxiety. Sometime with depression patient may develop some other symptoms which they cannot identify themself but psychiatrist identify them during detail interview with patient and family members, and start treatment.

Low dose Clofranil (10 mg) do not cause that much weight gain. However Olanzapine can cause weight gain. Stopping the medicine without doctor’s advice can lead to recurrence of previous symptoms.

You may discuss with your treating doctor. Appropriate medication can be prescribed after the patient interview and mental status examination which is necessary.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Should you have any clarification regarding my suggestion, please feel free to post your queries here. I will be glad to address them.