Will I get pregnant if I have not taken birth control regularly?

Oncologist
Question
This morning I had unexpected sex...I am on the pill but I have not been so great at taking it this month. I have forgotten to take it 3-4 times and then followed the directions and just ended up taking 2 the next day. I never forgot for more that one day though it was throughout the month. This morning we used a condom for backup and it did not rip. I am supposed to get my period in 9 days. Should I still take Plan B to be safe since I forgot to take my birth control last night? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 17 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

As long as you take the two pills following a day where you missed the dose this should maintain the protective effect of the birth control. This should be effective enough so that you do not need to take the PlanB. PlanB has significant side effects and I only recommend it when absolutely indicated.

To be on the safe side, why don't you purchase a few pregnancy tests and to help keep your mind at ease you could take a pregnancy test every few days until the date of your period to confirm a negative result.

I thank you again for your query. I hope you found my response to be both adequate and helpful. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga

Follow-up: Will I get pregnant if I have not taken birth control regularly? 24 hours later
Ok great thanks. Is that true if I had not taken my pill more than once this cycle? I forgot about 3 times but took 2 the next day each time.

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Yes it is true that you should still be protected. Perhaps you could set a daily reminder alarm on your cell phone which can beep and give you an extra way to remember to take your tablet.

I thank you again for submitting your query and hope my answer has served to be both helpful and informative. should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga