Will I fail to have children if my uterus wall is thin?

I have some concerns about fertility; i am 24 years old and have been on the pill for 6 years. A couple of months ago i stopped having my period on the pill. My doctor advised me to stop taking it until my period started. He did do a pregnancy test.Neg. It started for about a day, and was very painful, now I’m late again. My doctor took a sonogram of my uterus and said that the wall is very thin. What does all this mean? Will I struggle to have children? If so what timeframe am I looking at?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 5 hours later

Irregular periods can occur due to many factors. Some of these can influence the chances of fertility. A few tests are entailed.

1. You have been taking oral contraceptives for a very long period. This can cause irregular menstrual cycles. They do improve subsequently.

2. Ovarian cyst or PCOD is another cause of scanty menses. Ultrasonography is used to rule out PCOD.

3. Thin lining means less endometrial thickness. You should get your hormonal assay done. It includes FSH, LH, estradiol, progesterone and prolactin levels. These should be done on particular days of cycle according to your doctor's advice. I suggest my patients to get these test done on 2nd or 3rd day of menstrual cycle.

4. Thyroid hormone dysfunction is another important cause for menstrual irregularities. Thyroid function tests is needed to rule out thyroid dysfunction.

5. Tubal factors are to be looked for their patency; hysterosalnigography is done.

6. Folliclular studies are very important in which we see mature follicles in mid cycle.

Do not worry. If everything is properly lined up one can always find out the cause of sterility and its treatment.

Some medical drugs which may be useful to you are:

a) Clomiphene citrate or Letrozole - You can take them under your doctor's guidance.

b) For thin lining, progesterone is given in post ovulatory phase.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more doubts, I am available to address them.