Will I contract HIV through electric shaver?

Question
I'm a 27 year old male. A few days ago, I met a guy who shaved my *** with a clean electric shaver and then proceeded to rim me a few minutes later. I don't believe there were any noticeable cuts. He also shaved my pubes and sucked on my penis for no more than a minute. Again, I didn't see any noticeable cuts. I did not see any blood or sores in his mouth but I do not know his hiv status for sure (he said he was std- and hiv-). Am I at risk for hiv transmission or am I just being paranoid?
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Very very unlikely Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I understand your anxiety and reasons why as concerns HIV. Considering all the information you have provided the chances of you having contracted HIV from this encounter is less than 0.1%. This is very very unlikely. I will suggest you stay calm and relaxed. Get yourself tested now and three months later to be sure of your status now and three months later. This, for sure, is mainly to move away from the guessing and probability to using objective laboratory results. I am certain you would never want to find yourself in this state in future again. Please, always consider appropriate protection during potential exposures. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Thank you for using our services and please feel free to ask for clarifications if need be. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Will I contract HIV through electric shaver? 20 minutes later
Ok. I feel better. One more thing. I noticed a small XXXXXXX at the base of my penis (probably from getting shaved). It was barely noticeable, as I remember. Any risk for hiv from getting saliva on that wound?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer: It is a risk but chances very minimal Detailed Answer: Thanks for this follow up precision. The chances remain very minimal but not completely absent. It does not change so much fro the estimated risk of transmission. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Will I contract HIV through electric shaver? 6 hours later
Ok. Sounds good. So, just to elaborate. Testing is only required to ease my mind and to get objective laboratory results. It's not warranted otherwise?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 16 hours later
Brief Answer: it would most probably negative but worth testing' Detailed Answer: The test would most likely be negative but would help us move away from a game of probability to talking with conclusive evidence backed by laboratory findings. I hope you find this helpful. I wish you well. Dr, Ditah,MD.

Follow-up: Will I contract HIV through electric shaver? 17 hours later
Ok. I have one more question and then I thank you for your help w/ this question. Hiv-infected saliva cannot transmit the virus through the mucous membrane of the anus? Is this accurate?

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 19 hours later
Brief Answer: Please, see below Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for this follow up question. If the virus gets in contact with an exposed surface that can allow for penetration and infection, then you can get infected. However, the chances of this happening in the above mentioned scenario are minimal but not Zero. It can always happen but, not as often as in the case of unprotected sex. I hope this helps clarifies the doubts. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.