Will HCG levels and ultrasound match if miscarrying? Irregular cycles, thought I was ten weeks pregnant.

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Will your hcg levels and ultrasound match if you are miscarrying? I thought I was ten weeks but my ultrasound and hcg levels show that I am only 5 weeks, the ER physician and nurse said not to worry. I probably got pregnant after my first missed period, my cycles are irregular from 23-35 days apart.
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 7 hours later

The HCG ( Human Chorionic Gonadotropin ) levels and ultrasound should usually match when you are pregnant. There may be a discrepancy if there is a miscarriage in which case, the ultrasound will show an aborted fetus or remnant earlier than the HCG levels.

But in your case since your periods are irregular and the HCG and ultrasound correlate, the most likely possibility is that you are about 5 weeks pregnant +/_ 1 week. Your doctor may be right in saying that you might have got pregnant just about the week you missed your periods. So don't worry.

I would advise you get a scan done again at about 16 to 20 weeks to check for the status of the fetus i.e an anomalies scan.

In between if you have any pain or discharge or bleeding get a scan done promptly and consult your gynaecologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I'll be available for any follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.