Will Doxycycline help in curing Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, I am taken Doxycycline and having discomfort like no appetite. I feel like I'm loosing weight. I am taken this drug because I have a infected wound, not healing. I was told that I have MRSA infection. Will this take care of this infection. Also being on this drug does this cause Cancer later on in life.
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Brief Answer: no Detailed Answer: Hi Doxycycline is a safe and widely used antibiotic. Yes it does cause loss of appetite, nausea and vomiting. But it does not lead to cancer later in life. However I suggest you take antibiotics under a doctor's guidance. Sometimes they are not effective for some wounds. Do not take this again if wound has not healed. Doctor can send wound swab for culture and take antibiotics accordingly. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Will Doxycycline help in curing Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection? 2 hours later
Why do you feel that I should not take this Antibiotic again. I had surgery eight months ago got infected, and now it's become to a Staph MRSA infection. They did a swab culture, and results were that I have a couple of bacteria infections along with MRSA. Will this heal and not return. I'm frightened it's been a long time. Thank you for your answers-I appreciate it very much.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: reinfection Detailed Answer: Hi The question is why there is no healing though you are taking antibiotics from such a long time. Either the antibiotic is not effective or sensitivity report is wrong. Hence I believe you need to get culture and sensitivity done from different centre and type of organism too if you have been having this from long time. So the antibiotics need to be changed as bacterias might be different each time and Doxycycline maynot be effective each time. Hence each time you need to check organism and sensitivity and take medicines accordingly