Will Dolo and Novomox treat child's cold, fever and runny nose?

Infertility Specialist
Dear Doctor,

My baby is 4 months old and wanted know if Dolo 650 and Novomox would help for cold and fever. she has cold like running nose.

Thank you,
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 35 minutes later

Thank you for asking the query.

Fever in infants is very much different from adults. It could be due to any bacterial or viral infection.

The medications that you mentioned (Dolo 650) is ADULT DOSAGE. As such high dosage it is NOT recommended in children.
Novomox is an antibiotic which is inefficient against viral infections. I do not suggest you to use it without supervision.

I advice you to consult a pediatrician at the earliest and use all medical drugs strictly as adviced. He/she would prescribe drugs in form of syrup/suspension to treat the current condition. It is not advisable to perform self medication on a 4 month infant.

Meanwhile if fever is high, you may try sponging with XXXXXXX warm water.

Hope this answer has been useful to you. I am available for any further queries you would like to have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Will Dolo and Novomox treat child's cold, fever and runny nose? 1 hour later

The above medicine Dolo 650 pediatric drop and Novomox pediatric drops are prescribed by our pediatrician wanted to confirmn if they are effective for runing nose.

Because I thought dolo650(Acetaminophen) would help in fever.

Thank you
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 17 minutes later
If it is pediatric preparation, please give the medication. It is important to control the fever. If fever is not controlled by tomorrow start on Novomox. It is effective in treating running nose if its due to bacterial infection.