Will Dificid cure diarrhea and gas due to C-Difficile positive antigen results?

Hello, My dad has had a C-Difficile infection for the past six months. He got it in the hospital while being treated for a urinary infection. Recently I have developed it too. I have had light diarrhea the past couple of weeks and a lot of gas. I went to my Dr and he gave me a stool test. The A and B toxins came back negative, but the Antigen is positive. My Dr gave me Dificid to take for 10 days. Will this cure me? Also, since the toxins are negative, does this mean the infection isn't so severe? I am 49 years old and worried.
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Dificid is helpful in treatment of CDAD Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Presence of Clostridium antigen in the absence of detectable Toxin A and Toxin B implies mild non- invasive form of diarrhoea also known as Clostridium difficile associated Diarrhoea(CDAD). The infection could have been transmitted to you fro your father. Absence of toxin is relatively good sign and the diarrhoea should resolve with appropriate treatment with Dificid( Fidaxomicin). If the diarrhoea persists or you develop bleeding associated with fever and pain then it would imply invasive infection. In that case Metronidazole will be the drug of choice. Wishing you speedy recovery. Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS,MD
Follow-up: Will Dificid cure diarrhea and gas due to C-Difficile positive antigen results? 9 hours later
Hello, Thank you for your answer. After I finish the Dificid, do you think I should take another stool test to see if the Antigen is still there? In case I still have it, should I take another round of the Dificid? Do you know if this medication usually cures people?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 5 hours later
Brief Answer: No need of repeating further test Detailed Answer: Hi If your diarrhoea settles down then there is no need to take any test or further medication. Some of colleagues do use Deficid and it cures them. I personally prefer using Metronidazole. Rest be assured that there is no cause for concern. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: Will Dificid cure diarrhea and gas due to C-Difficile positive antigen results? 5 hours later
I just have another question. Is it possible the diarrhea will stop and yet I can still have the Antigen that is positive in me? Is there anyway to kill the Positive antigen?
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer: MEDICATION WILL ERADICATE CLOSTRIUM DIFFICILE Detailed Answer: Hi Greetings The Deficid medication you are on will lead to complete eradication of the Clostrium difficile from your gastrointestinal tract and the antigen test will automatically be negative. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak