Will Biaxin and Augmentin provide resistance for upper respiratory and sinus infections?

ENT Specialist
There is much discussion about the dangers of all kinds of bacterial infections becoming resistant to antibiotics (called superbugs) and the inability to produce enough new antibiotics to fight them. In general my wife (and sometimes I as well) need to use the usual antibiotics for upper respiratory infections, especially sinus infections, usually once a year (in winter), sometimes twice a year. Is this resistance issue something to really be concerned about in such cases, or is the entire fear exaggerated in general? My wife has found herself to be resistant to Biaxin and Augmentin, at least a year or two ago. She took them on different occasions for sinus infection and had to go on to Zinthromax which always seems to work. Thanks.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 3 days later
Brief Answer: The superbug concept is for critical care settings Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The concept of superbugs is not in relation to the routine ambulatory otherwise healthy adults who take antibiotics for routine infections as and when prescribed by the doctors. The concept is about the multidrug resistant bacteria which are prevalent in critical care settings like ICUs. You need not worry about such a problem. Only thing is to avoid self medication. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: Will Biaxin and Augmentin provide resistance for upper respiratory and sinus infections? 31 minutes later
Thank you....are we to be concerned in cases of possible hospital infections in any local settingI if one had to be hospitalized, and why is the resistance limited to a hospital setting and otherwise healthy people? Sorry, I meant NOT to otherwise healthy people?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 22 minutes later
Brief Answer: should Not be Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. You need not worry about these hospitalizations for minor ailments. Critical care setting patients have lowered immunity and thus are more prone to these organisms as they do not body resistance to fight these bugs. Higher antibiotics are used in critical care settings and thus the possibility of finding multi drug resistant bugs in more in such settings. These infections are not limited to otherwise healthy people, actually these are more commonly found in patients with low immunity as many of the organisms which do not normally harm our body start harming in decreased immunity settings. Feel free to ask another query. Regards