Wife died of pulmonary embolism, was hospitalized with systemic colitis. Did she feel distress when partially conscious?

My wife was hospitalized with systemic colitis. Due to the pain, she was administered morphine which put her to sleep. Then a pulmonary embolism occurred and took her life. The hospital staff told me that she went peacefully. I'm still very much troubled by thoughts that she was at least partially conscious and at least for a short time experienced some suffering and distress. Your opinion please?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 19 minutes later

I am sorry to hear that your wife passed away.

When it is not possible to prevent a patient dying, and medical care is no longer possible or useful, it is important that supportive care is given to the patient and family.

The attempt was done to make your wife free of pain in her last few moments.
I am sure she would not have suffered in her final moments. Morphine is mainly given for that.

She has died peacefully without any pain. Do not worry and do not be troubled that she was conscious. Be at peace with yourself too.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.