Wife developed symptoms of suspicion. Doubts about health and safety. What should I do?

My wife has recently developed symptoms of Suspicion for last 1 month because of her work pressures. She is perfectly normal. Not violent. Only thing is that she has a doubt in her mind regarding my health and safety. Also the safety of her daughter.

What kind of treatment do you suggest. Will she recover completely.
Posted Wed, 31 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 12 minutes later
Thanks for your query. This excessive unreasonable suspiciousness or preoccupation with your health or safety could be part of any of the following psychiatric disorders: psychotic illnesses, paranoid personality disorder, magical thinking as part of obsessive-compulsive disorder, an anxiety disorder, other anxiety disorders and severe depressive disorder. Hence she would require a thorough psychiatric evaluation for rule out the above disorders. The treatment would generally include:
1. Antidepressant/antipsychotic/antianxiety agent as the case may be
2. Psychotherapy techniques like CBT/ Cognitive behavioural therapy
Kindly contact a psychiatrist as early as possible.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Wife developed symptoms of suspicion. Doubts about health and safety. What should I do? 12 minutes later
I have already consulted the psychiatrist and he has put her on medication for 10 days. But, the problem is she is not taking the medicine. She says she is perfectly OK and why the medicines are given to her. Medicines are seductive and she always feels sleepy in the office. Before 1 month she was perfectly OK but during the past month the activities happened in her office made her suspicious. She feels somebody is spying on her in the bus, her mobile phones are being taped and more concerned about the health and safety of myself and daughter.
I just want to know whether this tendency will be completely removed or not.
What medicines would you prescribe.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 4 minutes later
Thanks for your query. The symptoms you report are typical of a psychotic disorder. I would have prescribed antipsychotics like olanzapine or risperidone to start with. Lack of insight into illness and refusing medication is common in a psychotic disorder. The solutions include lying to the patient that the medications are for general health like vitamins, switching to long acting injectable preparations, use of suspensions/oral mouth dissolving preparations instead of routine oral tablets. Hope you found the information useful.
Dr Sundar