Widal test done for s typhi o, H non reactive, s para typhi ah and bh. Any suggestion?

Sep 2012

Girl Aged 22
S Typhi O: 1:80,
"H": Non Reactive < 1:20,
S Para Typhi AH & BH: Non Reactive Lessthan 1:20
Posted Sun, 24 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for posting a query.

Look, widal test only detects somatic O and flagellar H antibodies present in blood.

But, the level is dependent on the area where the patient lives. If the area is endemic for typhoid, then the antibodies may present in higher amount than normal. Some other factors also influence the result.

As per the standard ranges given by the laboratory, she is reactive for typhoid O antibodies. But, we clinically take >1:160 as a significant value.

So, in this condition, you should consult with her treating doctor for clinical correlation. If clinically there is any suspicion, I think it would be better to go for specific IgM and IgG test for typhoid. It is newer, more specific and more reliable than Widal test.

So, consult with her treating doctor regarding the points I have told you.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.