Widal test done for paratyphoid. What is the finding?

my lab test result my paratyphi BH ia 1/320, what it is mean? my email address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
hi, thanks for using health care magic

The widal test for typhoid mixes the blood of a persons suspected with typhoid or paratyphoid with the bacteria that causes it. If a person has typhoid/paratyphoid fever then their blood would contain antibodies which would react with the bacteria.
Antibodies are formed in a persons body in response to an infection.

In the widal test- serial tests may be taken to look for any changes in the level of the titre. A single result is of little value but 2 samples at 2 different times are used to check for changes.
There are different types of salmonella antigens (bacteria types) and the ones that are used in the widal test are the O and H antigens. You had the H done.
In general , a titer of greater than 200 would be considered high for the H antigen.
At 1:320 , this would be significant but it would be important to interpret it with your other results.If the previous result was 1:80, it implies an increase.
In general it increases in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th week, after which it will start to decline.

You may want to consider speaking to your doctor to check for any other trends.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions