Widal test done. What does the finding indicate?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
hello doctor my widal test result shown as
s typhi o positive 1:40
s typhi h positive 1:80
s paratyphi ah positive 1:40
s paratyphi bh positive 1:40
what does it mean?
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

The widal test is indicative of typhoid ( salmonella ) infection however it's not strongly positive in your case ( titres are less than 1:160) so if you have no other symptoms it can be termed negative.Traditionally, a positive Widal test is based on a fourfold rise in O agglutinins in repeated tests or a titre of > 1:160 (in endemic areas like India) in a single test.
Kindly do mention some details for me to be able to guide you in the best possible manner.
1. What are your symptoms ( onset duration and progress of the same)?
2. What are the medications started ?
3. Any other significant or positive investigations done recently.
Kindly respond as soon as feasible .
Awaiting your reply .
Follow-up: Widal test done. What does the finding indicate? 3 days later
hello doctor,

The illness started with sore throat, pain while swallowing food and drinking water with little fever on 23rd feb 13. The doctor diagnoised the illness on 27th feb 13 as chronic tonsilitis and change of voice. The Doctor prescribed some tests,e.g, blood tests(found some variations),x-ray tests(normal) and medicines prescribed as follows;
STUFCURE CV 250 tab twice daily for 10 days, Xtpara tab twice daily for 5 days, Alerfix total one tab for 1 mth and gastrozole plus daily in empty stomach 1 cap for one month,avoid spicy food, advised voice rest, stop gargling & warm water intake. The sore throat (difficulty in taking food and water recovered) except that little fever, temperature always ranging between 96 degree farenheit- 98 degree farenheit only during early XXXXXXX and in the evening time. After ten days of first visit ,the doctor reveiwed the blood report and prescribed Lincef tab 5 days course 2 tabs daily. but the fever is still within that range. If you need the blood report kindly advice.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 21 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Your symptoms are not suggestive of typhoid .
Moreover the temperature range you mention is absolutely within normal limits.
Fever is said to occur only if temperature goes above 99 F especially above 100.
Since you are already on antibiotics course you neednot do anything else . If you have the said widal report and no fever or any other complaints then I would consider you treated for your infection ( upper respiratory most probably)
. You just need to have a good diet , plenty of fluids and daily exercise especially walking or yoga to help you body recuperate .
Hope that answers your query.
Please feel to ask any further doubts .
Follow-up: Widal test done. What does the finding indicate? 18 minutes later
thank you very much for the advice,

kindly tell me which among the mentioned tabs is the antibiotic and for how long it can be continued or should i go to doctor for further checkup. I would like to mentioned that in blood report the ESR* (WESTERGREN) LEVEL IS 35. Normal range for (F) 0-20 AEFH. Other things was normal.

What is this ESR ? and is it worrisome.
The two things in blood report was one typhoid related and the second one is ESR*.Please guide doctor.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Both Stufcure CV and Lincef are antibiotics and at present if you are on Lincef then you should continue it as per your doctors advice . Usually it is given for a week or two ( maximum).
High ESR in the blood may indicate various possibilities like infection, inflammation , allergy , tuberculosis etc.
At present if ESR was high it could be due to the respiratory infection .
However it's advisable that you repeat the two tests widal and ESR 2 weeks after stopping medicines or being asymptomatic ( ie feeling fine ).
If there is persistent high ESR in that report then you might need further evaluation to rule out any chronic illness .
As of now it's not worrisome and could be due to your present illness .
Hope I have answered your queries.
Kindly accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.