Why wont the fluid behind ear drum drain? Will musanex help?

i have had fluid behind my ear drum for 2 month why wont it drain.i have been on antibiotics and musanex d please help me
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The fluid behind the ear drum can happen due to infection of the middle ear, eustachian tube abnormalities, allergies or common cold.
Since you are taking antibiotics and a decongestant regularly, it is likely that the fluid in the ear is due to allergic causes or due to reactive inflammation. If there are no associated signs of infection like pain, fever, blocked ears, hearing problem then you can wait for the fluid to resolve on its own.
In case the fluid is persistent or is symptomatic then you may choose to get a myringotomy done under the guidance of your ENT specialist.
This is a minor OPD procedure and can be done easily.
Please consult your ENT specialist for necessary examination and treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.