Why should Plavix be stopped before a heart valve replacement?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I am having aheart valve replacement in 2 weaks, I was told to stop taking Plavix. should I and why XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Plavix increases chances for bleeding complication Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Plavix is a blood thinner drug, which makes it difficult for the blood to get clotted, prolonging the time of hemorrhage (bleeding). Your cardio-surgeon has asked to stop it before the surgery, it was because the doctor wants to protect you from bleeding complication of the valve replacement surgery. Wish good luck in your next operation! Dr.Bardha