Why should I take thyroid medication during pregnancy?

Infertility Specialist
Hi, I was taking 2 grains S.R. thyroid medication and ran out, and didn't get the prescription refilled (got caught up with life, didnt see it as a big deal). Well, literally when I ran out, I got pregnant. I am about 5 weeks pregnant and went to my doctor and he said I needed to get back on the thyroid immediately, and that he might need to increase it. My question is... have I already harmed my child by being off of my thyroid medication for the first 5 weeks of pregnancy? Obviously I intend on being vigilant about it now that I know how important it is.
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Don't worry Detailed Answer: Hi Congratulations on pregnancy. Your child is not at all harmed in anyway by nor taking thyroid medicines. The reason your doctor insisted you to take thyroid medicines is to prevent possibility of miscarriage or abortion due to hypothyroidism. Please follow doctor's advice and dont worry about baby. Let me know if you have any more questions. Regards Dr. Mahesh Koregol
Follow-up: Why should I take thyroid medication during pregnancy? 2 minutes later
Thank you so much! So just to fully alleviate all fears... is it true then that there should be little risk of mental impairment due to the 5 week late start of the thyroid medication?
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: No Detailed Answer: Hi There is no question of mental impairment so early. Just relax and remove it from your mind. Regards
Follow-up: Why should I take thyroid medication during pregnancy? 0 minute later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 6 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please accept my answer Detailed Answer: Hi Please accept my answer and write a review. Regards