Why periods are delayed and is this related to pregnancy ?

I am 27 in good health and aprox 9 stone, 5.6 ft. Around a week ago I started to feel sick but have not been actually sick. In addition my breasts became sore (this has eased a little) and I feel very tired all the time. I have stopped the pill (after my last period) and have had regular sex with my partner. I am due my next period in 4 days and pregnancy tests have so far been negative (used those that possible detect pregnancy before a period is due).

With the test results in mind is it unlikely that I am pregnant? and if yes what could be the likley cause of my symptons?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

The symptoms you have mentioned are not specific of a pregnancy. I would suggest you not to concern and wait for your cycles, they seem to be coming soon.

Since you have stopped the pills after your last cycle, I would probably think of hormonal changes to be the cause for your symptoms of feeling sick and breasts getting sore. They do cause nausea , vomiting, tiredness , bloating sensation ,etc , mimicking a pregnancy.

The symptoms could also mean a PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME, which starts a week before the next cycles, the reason being the drop in the estrogen levels and rise in progesterone.

I would advice you to avoid coffee, tea and reduce stress. Try meditation and XXXXXXX breathing and drink lots of water daily.

Finally, though the pregnancy tests was negative, it is not conclusive to rule out pregnancy yet. I suggest you to repeat the urine pregnancy test, if you do not get the cycles on time. A second or rather 3rd in your case is needed after a week, to completely rule out pregnancy if your cycles are delayed for more than a week.

I hope I have answered your questions, I would be available for follow up queries as well .