Why is there an increase in heart rate while lying down with cardiomyapathy and heart murmur ?

Question
Heart beat is always normal during the day, when I lay down my heart rate goes up. I have cardiomyapathy and heart murmur. I have been exercising for over 25 years and do so 4 - 5 days a week. This condition started 5 - 6 weeks ago. After I check it in the morning, it's 104, it will take 10 minutes to go down to 50, which is normal for me because I have an athletic pulse. What could be the cause of this. thank you, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Since you have cardiomyopathy and heart murmur and have been having this increased heart rate on lying down since a few weeks, so it needs evaluation. Is it accompanied by any change in blood pressure as well? Also what is your age and any medications that you may be taking?

A normal adult's pulse can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia.
Afew possibilities which need to be ruled out include:
1)     Anxiety and stress
2)     Anemia
3)     Hyperthyroidism
4)     Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
5)     Heart disorders

I suggest you to get it examined from a physician and get your Hb levels, thyroid function tests and an EKG and stress ECHO ruled out. An ECHO is needed to check out the recent functioning of the heart.
Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Why is there an increase in heart rate while lying down with cardiomyapathy and heart murmur ? 6 days later
Thank you for the information. My blood pressure is usually 130/85 when I wake up with a high pulse in the morning. I am 65 years old. Lately my pressure has been higher. Atavan was given to me because I have a history anxiety in the past. I would like to rule out anxiety as the cause but I am not sure. I feel that my cardiologist is not listening to what I am tellin him. He said I am fine but I do not feel fine in the morning. I always feel fine once I get to my job and at the Gym.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 14 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Before naming anxiety as the cause of these symptoms, it is better to rule out cardiac causes, anemia and hypothyroidism. I believe it is always the organic cause that are ruled out first.

I suggest you to consult a physician. Complete blood counts, thyroid function tests and Echo test needs to done. Discuss with a physician who can guide you through these test. If the tests are normal, then anxiety could be the likely cause. In that case you may need anti-anxiety medicines prescribed.