Why is there a brown discharge from my vagina after bowel movement?

Question
Over the past few days I have had small amounts of dark brown discharge from my vagina. It seems to occur following a bowel movement. From research on the internet it appears this could be a result of a fistula. I have made a doctors appointment, but they are not able to see me for about a week. Is there any immediate emergency? I am not experiencing any associated pain.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 43 minutes later
Hi ,

Thanks for your query .

Dark brown discharge from the vagina following a bowel movement just the possibility of an Fistula. But it is only a significant if you had an of the things in the past.

1) Surgery/ procedure on the uterus,vagina ,might have caused perforation which will later on leads to Fistula formation.

2)Inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's disease. These disease are known to cause fistulas.

The above 2 can form passage so that the contents will be exchanged like spilling of menstrual blood to bowels and the passage of feces through the vagina.

A per vaginal examination , XXXXXXX test etc can be used to confirm the fistula.If fistula is confirmed it has to bee surgically corrected.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Regards.