Why is the widal test repeated after already having typhoid?

Male 43 Yrs. Had Typhoid in Oct 2009. Now on 31st July'11 had fever, cold and cough and went to doctor who got me to do Widal Test which shows T value at 1: 80 and H 1:160 the other 2 readings are 1:40. So do I have Typhoid again and is it a concern for re coccurance in 2 yrs. He changed my medicine from Locof which he gave previous day to Mahecef @2pills each in morn and evening for 5 dayts and asked me to come again. I generally feel worried most of the time and am unable to sleep pl help.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

Widal test does give us an idea about the presence of typhoid.

However, it is the rising titre on repeating the widal test which gives us a better idea about the typhoid.

The gold standard test for typhoid is blood culture. Hence, my sincere suggestion to get the blood culture also done.

The commonly used drugs are a combination of cefixime or cefpodoxime and oflaxacin. These antibiotics are usually used for a duration of at least a period of 10 days.

Mahacef contains cefexime which is good drug for treating typhoid.

A complete blood count should also be done and usually in the typhoid fever, there is no rise of white cell count which is normally seen in other infections.

The lack of the rise of the white cell count in typhoid is called relative leucopenia.

Please consult your physician for a definitive treatment as it is not possible to to treat online.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us.

I will be happy to answer your queries.