Ask a Urologist   »  

Why is the white blood cell count in my urine high?

Question
I have high white blood count in urine; no bacteria; tenderness in left side, swollen feet and pain in ankles. Took Cipro and retested urine. WBC still high. what could this be? my internist recommends I see urologist next. I am very worried.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Hello.
A high white blood cell count in urine is indicative of a renal infection. Your other symptoms like tenderness in left side , swollen feet, etc are also indicative of renal infection.
Taking ciprofloxacin often does not help in renal infections. It needs a longer and specific treatment. This infection might be a result of renal calculus.An abdominal ultrasound scan will help in detecting a calculus if there is any. You may also need renal profile tests like Serum Creatinine, Uric acid and blood urea. A comment about Serum albumin and Urine protein would be better to analyze better.
Consulting with a Urologist will help in choosing an appropriate antibiotic for you and will prevent the further complications also.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.