Why is the heart beating rapidly only at night?

Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the suggestion below....

Detailed Answer:

The very first thing I would say is not to be worried about such sensation of yours.

Please bare in mind that this is a normal thing happening among the majority of people and most of the time, is not related to any abnormal health condition.

I would also add that during night-time, while we are resting, we become more sensitive to the heart work.

In addition, while lying down, the heart is nearer to the thorax than in standing position. This also explains why you are feeling heart beating when lying down.

Furthermore, in people with hypertension as you, the sympathetic innervation is resulted to tachycardia. Perhaps you have tachycardia during the day-time, but you are too busy with your daily activities, therefore, you might feel it more at night-time.

If you are already taking a beta-blocker, if I were your curing doctor, I would increase the dose of the beta-blocker at bedtime.

Or, in case you are not taking a beta blocker, I would add such drug at night.

You can discuss these my suggestions with your doctor.

Hope it answered your inquiry!

p.s. Feel free to contact me again if you have more concerns.