Why is the back of my neck reddened?

Jan 2014

the patch of skin right where hair start growing in the back of my neck is reddened and is different from the rest of skin, could it be beginning psoriasis? I noticed also my eyelashed started falling at least one per day is this normal? moreover, in the lower back i have a large patch of skin that got is also red, but it does not look like ringworm which I had last year but i got cured, but the patch next to where it was got affected... is there any solution? could it be chronic?
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Possibility of psoriasis. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for posting your concern at XXXXXXX Seems to be a case of classic plaque Psoriasis (scalp+body). Psoriasis, specially plaque psoriasis, commonly involves the scalp and extensors(elbows, knees, lower back) and it presents as deep red,well defined plaques with silvery white scaling which when scrapped with a glass slide comes off as candle wax. Scalp psoriasis presents as well defined scaly plaques usually at the margins of the scalp (anterior or posterior or sides). Sometimes there is diffuse involvement of the scalp with itchy scales and bumps, which patients might confuse with just being a dandruff. Please upload a pictures of the affected area for me to be able to help you better, because the morphology is distinctive enough to diagnose it by just looking at it. I would like to gather some more information from you in order to be able to help you better --Do you have any nail pitting (nail indentations)? --Do you have any joint pains? Psoriasis is chronic and it has a remitting, relapsing course. In my practice I usually treat my patients of scalp psoriasis with a topical steroid+salicylic acid lotion, to be applied twice daily along with a coal tar based shampoo, to be used daily or on alternate days. Plaque psoriasis on lower back can very well be treated with either a topical potent steroid+salicylic acid based ointment OR Vit D analogues (calcipotriol ointment, calcipotriene ointment, tacalcitol ointment) OR coal tar+salicylic acid based ointments etc depending on the choice of the clinician. An OTC antihistamine once daily would help you control the itch associated with the plaques. I would advice that you see a dermatologist for a visual confirmatory diagnosis. Your dermatologist might ask for a skin biopsy (if in any doubt) to confirm the diagnosis. take care regards