Ask a Urologist   »  

Why is my urine dark in colour and smell like burnt toast?

General Surgeon
For the last 2 days I have dark urine that smells like burnt toast when I urinate. Urine is only dark in the morning but still smells like burnt toast all day. No other symptoms. XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Urinary tract infection. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Such bad smelling urine is most likely caused by urinary bladder infection. Dark urine in the morning is quite common especially if you do not drink a lot before sleeping. The urine can be blear and can contain some blood. You may have frequent urinating with this condition. I suggest you to start with urine analysis and abdominal ultrasound. Please increase mineral water intake and start cranberries supplementation. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Follow-up: Why is my urine dark in colour and smell like burnt toast? 3 minutes later
I have an appointment with my family physician on January 7. Can I wait that long?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: . Detailed Answer: It is not a good idea to wait that long. If it is an infection and will be left without treatment, can lead to kidneys infection, kidneys failure and sepsis which can be life threatening. So please try to visit a doctor earlier and have urine analysis. Regards.