Why is my son vomiting only liquids?

My 11 year old has been vomiting liquids only for 9 days. His eyes have a yellow look and his skin is pale, His doctor said he is "stumped" and ordered a metabolic blood panel but that isn't alleviating my concerns of this "stumped" doctor. Any ideas?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 29 minutes later

Your son probably has Jaundice. Jaundice are of 3 types.

1. Pre-hepatic : Mostly occurs in Newborn
2. Intra-hepatic : Occurs due to infection of liver
3. Post-hepatic : Occurs due to obstruction of bile

So your son is suffering from either of the later two condition.

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your son's condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1. Does he have fever ?
2. What color is his urine ?
3. Does he complain of generalized body itch ?
4. You have said vomiting only liquids, so is he able to eat properly ?
5. Are you able feel any mass on the right side of the abdomen just below the chest ?
6. Any other symptoms you might have missed to mention ?

If you have any reports or images, kindly send it to " YYYY@YYYY " with subject line as "ATTN - Dr.Tulasi Raman.P"

Awaiting your reply,

Follow-up: Why is my son vomiting only liquids? 1 hour later
I appreciate your answer. I just got the metabolic panel back from the lab and it is 100% normal so why is he throwing up liquids and pale. I want to strangle my "stumped' doctor. He actually gained half pound since last week but he is so pale and his eyes are way off color and is complaining of nausea. I researched this GERD and it has many of the same symptoms including the violent morning liquid vomiting. No masses felt.
Answered by Dr. Tulasi Raman.P 15 minutes later

Thanks for following me up.

I do agree with you as a possibility of GERD being the chance here can not be ignored.Since he has yellow tinge in the eyes I consider there is a need for the liver pathology to be ruled out.

Kindly give me the details I asked in my last post and if you have got LFT ( Liver function tests ) done amongst the blood tests , do share the report with me.I shall then be able to rule out Jaundice, consider the GERD and advice you on the same.

Anticipating your response.