Why is my pulse rate high? What causes it to be high?

Hi Good evening,
yesterday I had check my pulse rate it was 114, I would like to know why the pulse rate is high, what causes to be high. If it is nothing to worry OK other wise please give me your suggestions.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 33 minutes later
A normal adult's pulse can be anywhere from 60 to 100 beats per minute. Anything over 100 is technically defined as a tachycardia.
A few possibilities which need to be ruled out include:
1) Anxiety and stress
2) Anemia
3) Hyperthyroidism
4) Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia
5) Heart disorders
6) Fever
If it is a single episode then you may as well ignore it. Try to restrict your caffeine and alcohol intake.
In case the tachycardia is persistent then I suggest you to get it examined from a physician and get your Hb levels, thyroid function tests and an EKG and stress ECHO done. An ECHO is needed to check out the recent functioning of the heart.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.