Why is my left ovary not seen post menopause ?

hello doctor i am 48 years menopausal lady,
i got my ultrasound report last week-uterus is antiverted in shape and size with normal echotexture. no fibroid seen in myometrium. endometrium is normal. right ovary is small in shape and size and the left one not seen. cul-de-sac is clear.
i am diabetic for more than 11 years....
pls tell me what is the meaning of this report i am very feared....
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Let me start by reassuring you that the USG report is absolutely normal as all the findings are within normal range and since you are menopausal the ovaries are small and not seen.

Uterus is in normal position,linings are normal and there is no fibroid/mass/tumour seen.

Just be relaxed and keep the Blood sugars under control.

Hope this answers your query.In case of any doubt I will be available for follow up

Wishing you Good Health!
Follow-up: Why is my left ovary not seen post menopause ? 1 hour later
but doctor, why just left ovary is not seen in my report? in future, is there chances of any harm or infection to me?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 9 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

After menopause the ovaries start decreasing in size and the hormone production eventually stops.

The ovaries can take few years to regress and completely stop the hormone production.After few years may be both of the ovaries would not be visible.

Regarding the future anything cannot be predicted but as of now there does not seem to be anything abnormal which can cause issues later.

I sincerely hope this helps!

thanks doctor,
sometimes there is a burning sensation in lower abdominal portion and it becomes very painful and unbearable.....
i have consulted to my doctor but the report was normal, doc said there is no problem but i can not understand then why this pain occurs to me....
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 hours later

Thanks again.

Burning sensation in the lower abdominal area can be due to many reasons as estrogen hormone as you have acheived menopause or cervical inflammation.

You can get a Pap smear(vaginal swab is collected and studied for any cervical changes)test done which will help in ruling out any cervical changes which are common at your age.

Also do get a urine routine examination done. If it is normal, you need not worry. If it suggests an Urinary tract infection then a course of antibiotics would help you.

Consume plenty of fluids orally. Also do pass urine often.

Hope this helps.

Take Care!