Why is my left eye is smaller than the right eye?
User rating for this question
Hi, question about my eye. One of them is noticably smaller than the other right now. This has happened before, usually when I don't get enough sleep. It goes away eventually, but it's something I want to go away permanently. My current one has lasted for over a week now. I took a blood test almost a year ago that said I have subclinical hypothyroidism. I'm supposed to re-take the blood test since I don't show any symptoms of it ie thinning hair or anything. Plus this eye thing has been going on for years now. It's on the same eye that I have lazy eye, which I have had since i was a kid. Can you help me?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Thyroid abnormalities have to be ruled out first. Detailed Answer: Hello Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist and I answer health problems related to eye. I went through the history and photograph which you have sent along with the query. It seems like your left eye is smaller than the right eye. This is called as enophthalmos. First thing we consider is proptosis/prominence of one eye which makes the other eye appearing smaller. This condition is called as pseudoenophthalmos. The commonest cause for unilateral proptosis in any age group is thyroid problems. Hence I advice you to rule to thyroid abnormalities by repeating the blood test and consultation with your doctor. The other things we need to consider is Hypermetropia of the eye or myopia of the other eye. This I would like to consider as second differential diagnosis as you are having lazy eye which is because of unequal refractive errors in both the eyes. Hypermetropic eye is smaller and myopic eye is bigger thus giving the appearance of one eye being smaller. This can be confirmed by examination with your eye doctor. Few other things which can be ruled by eye doctor are retraction or drooping of the eye lids giving the appearance of enophthalmos. Hence first thing to be done is to rule out thyroid abnormalities and treatment for the same. Hope the information is helpful to you. Thank you
People also viewed
- Is red, sore eyes a side effect of prolensa?
- Left eye tingle right eye twitch
- Is blurred vision a side effect of somavert?
- Is change in taste a side effect of pataday?
- Alcoholism and lose bowel movement
- Excessive alcohol in body in poop
- Pain in left eye and right eye drooping
- Alcohol lowers body temperature
- Eye redness on left side of right eye
- Is extra heartbeat a side effect of vigamox?
- One eye swollen and smaller than the other eye
- Axis right eye 10 left eye 170
- Drinking alcohol causes bowel movement
- Is blurred vision a side effect of trilipix?
- Brain tumour symptoms when drinking alcohol