Why is my grandchild vomiting foamy mucus?

My granddaughter was throwing up foamy mucous last evening when I babysat for her. The first time, she threw up a glob of like snought and after that it was all foamy. My email is YYYY@YYYY - thank you
Posted Sat, 11 Jan 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hi Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for posting your query on XXXXXXX Foamy mucus in vomitus means an infection of the stomach-most probably viral. She may be getting the infection from her food. You need to figure out which food is contaminated. If she is more than 1 yr old then you need to wean her from formula and start cow's milk. Limit the milk and juice intake during vomiting and diarrhea episode. It is possible that the water she is taking may be contaminated. Thus I would advice the following: - give her clean drinking water and hygienic food. - Along with this you need to rehydrate her after every episode of vomiting or diarrhea.You can rehydrate her with pedialyte. - An antiemetic (medicine for vomiting) may be given if she has not stopped vomiting. The medicine is readily available over-the-counter like gravol for kids, etc. I usually prescribe ondansetron for babies but in USA it is a prescription medicine. The mucus should clear when the infection comes under control. Above stated measures should help. Let me know if I can assist you further. Dr Vaishalee