Why is my eyesight fuzzy after waking?

I just don't feel well every morning! Even my eyesight is fuzzy for at least an hour after waking. I get enough sleep. I'm a narcoleptic, but take Provigil, which is a lifesafer. I am hypothyroid and on meds. But am sore, achy, and just feel like crap. I don't want to wake up to it!
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 29 minutes later

Your question is a good one and I will try to give you some information and recommendations regarding what is going on. You have very generalized symptoms which make me think of three possible categories of problems: psychological, infectious or metabolic.

Regarding psychological - anxiety and depression can manifest like this. If you think you may be suffering from one of these entities it may behoove you to discuss this with your primary care provider to see if there may be some benefit to adding a medication which may boost the serotonin level and then observe for improvement.

Regarding infections - we think of viral causes of this type of constellation of symptoms which you describe. Such viruses as Epstein-Barr or even variants of influenza can cause fatigue, dizziness, and muscle aches. I tend to doubt this in your case but it is worthy of consideration and your physician can test you for these.

Lastly - metabolic causes may be contributing to this. This includes function of the thyroid, liver and pancreas as well as kidney. Mild electrolyte abnormalities such as low magnesium or potassium can cause fatigue and aches. I think a comprehensive laboratory screen looking at all of these in addition to a complete blood count would help us rule out such things as electrolyte abnormality, organ dysfunction or even anemia.

I recommend you discuss this with your doctor and I am sure he or she will be amenable to a thorough workup for you.

I thank you again for submitting the query and hope my answer has served to be both helpful and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga.