Why is my cholesterol not reducing despite exercises and diets? Will medicines for long term have side effects?

I am not able to bring down my cholestrol level inspite of regular excercises and diet . Kindly suggest whether taking medicines to control cholestrol for long period will have any adverse side effects
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 minutes later

Taking medications will reduce the cholesterol levels soon but will increase its by products (free fatty acids) in the blood which are not affected by medication.Such by-products can take any form any time and could be XXXXXXX

Loosing cholesterol by exercises ensures that even the cholesterol by products too are burnt in the process of energy generation.

I would strongly recommend you to burn the fat rather than taking medication to break it down.

Also you can take medication like Orlistat which prevents absorption of fat from the food and helps in burning the stored fat in the body in exercise.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.