Why is my child having lower abdomen pain with loose motion?

Question
My son is 4 years old and has been complaining of lower abdomen pain towards left and right side with loose motion? I give him decolic for the pain. Enterogermina for loose motion. He also has a runny nose and mucus when he vomits.
Posted Mon, 27 Jan 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen 2 hours later
Brief Answer: This looks like a viral infection Detailed Answer: Hi, Abdominal pain, loose stools and rhinitis is commonly due to viral infection. Decolic gives pain relief and enterogermina is a probiotic. You can continue them. Besides that he needs adequate hydration. I would start him on ORS (oral rehydration therapy) fluid therapy. I will need further details to address his complaints. Does he have fever? Is he active? How many episodes of loose stools does he have? Are they watery? Do you see any blood or mucus? Feel free to share the information to help you better. Thanks.

Follow-up: Why is my child having lower abdomen pain with loose motion? 3 hours later
He is active and is eating normal food. He had two episodes of watery stool. He drinks enough water. He had the pain twice at night and usually breaks wind after the pain. He does not look sick. I give him Lanzol junior and montair lc as advised by his doctor.

Answered by Dr. Praveen 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue the medication given by your doctor Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing back. You can continue Lanzol junior and montair lc prescribed by your doctor. Since the frequency of stool is less and he is taking adequate fluids ORS is not necessary.Pain will subside gradually along with the stool frequency.If he is active you need not worry. I would suggest you to observe him for some more time. Thanks.