Why is my child getting headache in forehead while suffering from brain tumor and epilepsy?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
my seven year old daughter has a brain tumor and epilepsy and in a routine MRI last week they also found this: "noted paranasal sinus signal abnormality which is in the bilateral maxillary ethmoid and sphenoid sinuses" My question: She has been complaining of headaches all day lately in her forehead which we attributed to the epilepsy meds. The headaches have somewhat subsided in the last day or so. Is the finding above a reason to whisk her off to an ENT or could this just be a cold or allergies showing up? She seems fine otherwise--no runny nose etc.
Posted Mon, 6 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 39 minutes later
hello and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan, an ENT surgeon and I will try to help you out with your problem first of all let me assure you that in any scan taken during a respiratory tract infection or in more common terms a cold, the sinuses will always be inflamed and this is a routine for everyone so you have nothing to worry about. Furthermore, although sinuses can cause headache it may be unlikely in her case. She may have the headache in all probability due to the tumour itself or like you mentioned the anti epilepsy medication and may be even a refractory error. If her headache continues you must consult an ophthalmologist first. Otherwise there is nothing to worry about You can try steam inhalation to relieve the sinus block as seen in the scan which in any case will recover in a week or two. Finally, only a CT of the PNS can accurately show the state of sinuses and MRI just indicates a soft tissue effect which is inconsequential to an ENT So in summary, give warm fluids and general tratment of cold, do not worry about the scan findings and get back to me or any ENT/ophthalmologist if the headache persists. Hope your doubts are clear and I will be happy to answer any more that you may have Hope your daughter gets well soon regards and best wishes Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Why is my child getting headache in forehead while suffering from brain tumor and epilepsy? 1 hour later
Thank you so much for your help! We will do the steam inhalation to help first. Have a great Holiday! XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: Hello again, You are welcome and have a great holiday! Regards Dr Sriram Nathan