Why is my bottom lip suddenly turning from red to black?

Why is my bottom lip suddenly turning from red to black? the middle portion just started going black. on 5 may 13.
Posted Tue, 18 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

According to your description only your lower lip suddenly turned black.
-     Can you clarify whether it became red first and then black or by red you are describing your natural lip color?
-     Was it itchy or burning in the initial stage of discolouration?
-     Did you take any new medicines before this discolouration happened?
-     Did you apply anything new on the lip?
-     Did you expose yourself excessively to sunlight?
-     Do you smoke?

There is an option on the right side of your query page to upload your photo. Please make use of it so that I can better answer your query.

I am thinking of a lot of conditions like Fixed drug eruption, sunburn, contact dermatitis etc.
The details asked especially the photo will be very helpful.

Waiting to hear from you,
Dr Johny Chacko.
Follow-up: Why is my bottom lip suddenly turning from red to black? 2 hours later
I was using CVS to Get My Prescriptions filled, now i used Express Strips. that's the only change with my Meds. i have included a photo.
Answered by Dr. Johny Chacko 11 hours later
Welcome back.
Saw the picture that you sent. In the picture I can see blackish color of the lower lip, but what interests me is a scaly / dry well defined area over the lip which is slightly violaceous. I want to know whether lip is actually scaly or is it just an artifact because of the flash.

If it is scaly and slightly violaceous I am thinking of two conditions.
One is mucosal lichen planus, the second one is a collagen vascular disease called DLE or dermatology consultation as the treatment for these conditions should be by a specialist and it requires long term follow up. A skin biopsy from the lip will help to confirm the disease.

I will be happy to clarify any further doubts you have.
Wish you good health.