Why is my baby vomiting after breastfeeding?

General Surgeon
Question
I usually breastfeed my baby- 7 weeks old. I took an atihistaminr and sinu clear today for hay fever. I gave my baby NAN 1 she vonited 3 hours later- should I change the formula to NAN HA? Should i be worried or rather give her breastmilk?
Posted Mon, 3 Feb 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Just continue breastfeeding, no reason for concern Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day It's always advisable and recommended to give exclusive breastfeeding to babies till they are 6 months of age. Vomiting after feeds could be due to 1. Improper burping 2. Gastroesophageal reflux 3. Feed intolerance There is no reason for worrying about single isolated episode of vomiting. Just continue breastfeeding( preferably give only breastfeeding ) Rest be assured there is no cause for concern. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Pediatric Surgeon

Follow-up: Why is my baby vomiting after breastfeeding? 1 hour later
Is it safe to breastfeed my baby if i have taken medicine such as antihistamine and sinu med? Will it not affect my baby- the safety has not been tested?

Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Continue breastfeeding Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day It's definitely advisable to use caution while prescribing medication to lactating mother. As you are having hay fever, maternal interest is also to be taken into consideration. Antihistamines commonly used are quite safe to be given to pregnant or lactating mother. So there is no need to be concerned about it. Sinu clear contains phenylpropalolamine which is an Nasal decongestant. The short term use by mother is quite acceptable. When there is clinical improvement in your symptom you can stop sinu clear. Steam inhalation taken by you will also be quite effective for relieving your nasal congestion. Breastfeeding is very much beneficial. The advantage of continuing breastfeeding outweigh any minor risk for short term maternal drug intake. Do continue the breastfeeding. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr Deepak Kishore MBBS, MS, MCH Consultant Surgeon