Why is my anus soiled repeatedly?

For many, many years (I'm 82 now) is have used bathroom tissue after a bowel movement and have used the tissue until I was assured my anus was clean. However, hours later, again using tissue because of my problem, my anus is again soiled. Sometimes this is repeated two or three times a day. What is this problem.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 16 hours later

Repeated soiling of anus at your age could be because of -

1) Poor anal sphicter tone because of which it may be difficult for you to retain stools in rectum - This can be avoided by doing some pelvic strengthening exercises.

2) In case of constipation of long duration there can be overflow diarrhoea where in liquidy stools seeps out continiously - This will be corrected if you can avoid constipation and ensure good bowel movements daily.

Follow-up: Why is my anus soiled repeatedly? 7 hours later
Sorry I didn't make this clear, but this problem started when I was a young man in my 30s. Because it was a problem I began rolling tissue paper, sort of like a tampex, and wearing it in my buttocks. It would be slightly soiled when I removed it and then I would clean my anus in the ususual manner with tissue. That kept my anus clean until the next bowel movement, when the process would be repeated; i.e., clean anus with tissue, insert tissue, remove stained tissue roll, clean anus.
Not a problem of age.
Need suggestions on how to eliminate the problem. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 1 hour later

Thanks for the clarification.

Staining of the toilet paper could occur if the competence of the sphincters (muscles gaurding the exit of stools) is compromised.

This sphincter compromise could be secondary to a traumatic injury or secondary to certain illness of the nerves and muscles forming the sphicters. Sometimes inflammation in the rectal area can also causes urgency, incontinence and staining.

Sometimes, it may not be the stool that is staining and actually discharge from a fistula or a fissure.

Hence it is better to get yourself examined to differentiate these etiologies.

I hope, I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.