Ask a Urologist   »  

Why is my PSA at 38 after prostate surgery? my

Question
Why is my PSA at 38 after prostate surgery? my surgery was April 2014
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Zotaj Antoneta 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You will need to repeat the test to confirm the result first- further advises given

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

PSA is a prostate-specific antigen which means it is only produced by prostate tissue.

In your case having the prostate removed a few years ago and finding the PSA high the first step I would advise is to confirm that the result is accurate. Sometimes a result might not be the right one due to an error in the process of making the tests.

So in order to not do other more expensive, difficult and invasive tests without really being sure you really need them you will need to confirm that this result is accurate.

The normal level for PSA is under 4, but after prostate removal should be almost undetectable so if you find it high again in the repeated test than you will need to talk with your urologist and have the tests done to see if any of the remnant prostate tissue growth is present.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to reply in case of any questions or concerns related to it.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD