Why is it that I have to stimulate my rectum to make a bowel movement ?

Ok this is hard for me but I often manually stimulate my rectum in order to make a bowel movement, it's more of a need to feel clean or empty, than a sexual thing. I have done this for some time but don't exactly have a timeline. Anyways this past week I have had a lower back pain that isnt responding to meds. And have experienced lightheadedness to the point where I felt I could pass out I went to my GP and even to the ER when I got lightheaded, blood test normal, 4 separate urine tests normal. I even mentioned my problem to the ER Doctor he doesn't think that it's my problem, but I was wondering if anyone has a good idea if I may have damaged my vagus nerve. The only symptom I can attribute to this is some gas, loose stools and the light head, but I have not had issues swallowing or voice hoarseness or some of the other issUes I have seen online, again I am embarrassed by my problem and only came foward because of fear for my health and I am aware that some of my actual symptoms can be stress related. Please help doctor, ER dr. Thought it might be the medicine I was given for pain Tramadol, but I only took one and when I felt dizzy I immediately stopped taking it. To be clear I went to the ER for the fainting not the back pain I had seen my GP the day before, and he had given me some unknown injection along with the Tramadol and cyclobenzaprine which I have not used since I felt faint, but the faint feeling has not gone away even after 3 days that's why I'm here
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 12 hours later

Thanks for contacting XXXXXXX

I have read your problem you have stated and let me provide you with some information and reassurance.

Need to stimulate the rectum to bring on a bowel movement may indicate
1) Neurological problem with altered sensation
2) A problem in co-ordinating abdominal contraction, perineal relaxation and colonic movements - "Obstructed defecation"

Rectal stimulation is unlikely to cause vagus damage as the vagal cell body is in the brain and it is only the cell processes that reach the target organ.

Hence the symptoms are unrelated and should be veiwed separately. You may consult a neurologist for the fainting and get a defecogram / colonic motility studies.

Hope my answer is both adequate and assuring. Should you have any more additional concerns, I will be available to address them.