Why is it suggested to not drink alcohol with hiatal hernia?
User rating for this question
Why is it suggested not to drink alcohol with hiatal hernia? I understand that the more acidic the environment the more potential for acid that causes inflammation but moderate consumption should be okay right? I drink 2 glasses of wine about 2-3 times a week and fing it hard to socialize with friends and family with alcohol constrictions. I find that coffee upsets my issue moreso.
Posted Wed, 19 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajeev Chavda 8 hours later
Thanks for posting your query. I am happy to address your questions. Alcohol increases the production of stomach acid. Alcohol also relaxes the lower esophageal sphincter (LES), allowing stomach contents to reflux back up into the esophagus. This is compounded in hiatus hernia. When the XXXXXXX relaxes, it causes swallowing contractions to become erratic and makes the esophagus more sensitive to stomach acid. Thus, it is advisable to avoid the foods that can trigger your heartburn, either by increasing acid production and gastric pressure or by loosening the lower sphincter muscle. Also, avoid foods that can irritate the lining of the esophagus, such as spicy foods, coffee, citrus fruit and alcohol. Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help. Thanks
People also viewed
- Anal fissureis diltigesic and diltiact ointment same for its treatment
- Abdomen bloats after eating constipation pain taken enema gastric nausea
- Probiotics causing pale stool
- Constipation giving rice vegetables and fruits suggestion
- Hiatal hernia pain and alcohol
- Can shift work cause palpitations
- Drinking soda after hiatal hernia
- Hiatal hernia and drinking alcohol
- What causes prominent montgomery glands?
- Hiatal hernia drinking beer
- Spicy burp vomiting stinky breathe taken restoralax constipated
- Is inflammation the reason for heart burn during meals
- Drinks to avoid with hiatal hernia
- Tonsilitis can cause palpitation
- What causes a sentinel pile