Why is it forbidden to practise exercise after a loop diathermy?

OBGYN, Gynecologic Oncology
Why is it forbidden to practise exercise after a loop diathermy? Is even yoga or soft pilates not recommended? Thank you
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 1 hour later

Loop diathermy is meant to destroy the abnormal tissue covering ecto-cervix. This is accompanied by side effects like excessive watery/blood stained discharge from vagina and pain/cramping.

Area of cervix at the diathermy site is destroyed, goes into necrosis causing these symptoms.

Thus the practice of exercise, yoga etc. is not advisable.

You may resume these exercises when the healing process is completed.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: Why is it forbidden to practise exercise after a loop diathermy? 3 hours later
Thanks for your answer but yoga and pilates are not forbidden when pregnant, why should it be after loop diathermy (at least after 2weeks). I really would like to re-assume my training. What are the risks if I only work other parts of my body and not my abs?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath L Ramarajapalli 9 hours later

After injury (surgical insult) to the body the whole body reacts in the form of inflammation, increased white blood cell (WBC) count, having fever, etc. The reactions can be worsened with strenuous physical activity. Further friable tissues (as a result of necrosis) may bleed when stressed.

However normal pregnancy is considered physiological event where such reactions are controlled. We do not recommend strenuous physical activity if it's a high risk pregnancy too. Besides such activities are restricted few weeks (4-6 weeks) post delivery too.

So I would suggest you to rest well and avoid any strenuous activities till you permitted to do by your treating doctor. If you strongly feel the urge to resume training, you may go ahead with light exercises where there are not many side effects. You may still feel weakness, feverish, increased vaginal discharge, etc. with that.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other enquiries.

With best wishes