Ask a Urologist   »  

Why is it extremely painful when i pass urine?

i have my period but it has slowed down and so has my weeing it hurts when iget the urge to go to toilet and its constant it will not go away my doctor tells me its normal i do not think so i bought caneston combi and put a pessary up yesterday but that has not worked , its so painful it reduces me to tears
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 1 hour later

After going through the description provided by you, I feel you might be suffering with Urinary Tract Infection and Vaginitis.

You can follow these measures as this would help in relieving your symptoms:
1. Try alkalizers, add them in water and drink thrice daily. Cranberry juice also helps in UTI.
2. For pain you can have antispasmodics like urispas or flavoxate tablets twice daily after consulting with your doctor.
3. Take antibiotics like nitrofurantoin or ofloxacin + ornidazole combination but as these are prescription drugs please see your primary doctor for the prescription or as he/she advises.
4. You can apply Xylocaine ointment 2% locally as well as some anti inflammatory ointment.

For candidasis you need to take oral antifungal drugs llike secnidazole.

Before starting the treatment you should go for a complete urine examination like urine routine and urine for culture and sensitivity.

I would also like to know if there is any pain during defecation?

If you can get an ultrasound it would be better so as to rule out any renal stones.

Hope this answers your query. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Wish you good luck

Follow-up: Why is it extremely painful when i pass urine? 40 minutes later
what is defecation please .?
also rung my doctor again and she said come in and discuss.
my pain is so bad . i will try your home rememidies and i do not understand why my bleeding is also dripping but is sore also as im on my period this week its like both areas inside me are drying up.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello ,

Thanks again.

Defecation means '' while passing stools ''.

From what I can understand from the sentence ''my bleeding is also dripping'' ; you probably meant 'scanty flow' or 'spotting'. Is that right ?

Is the colour of urine red ?

Menstrual period disturbances are invariably due to changes in the hormone levels. Such changes occur due to various reasons including infection. A physical examination and evaluation is entailed.

Along with xylocaine, you can apply clobetasol ointment which will definitely relieve your pain.

If the flavoxate is not available then you can take mefenemic acid (NSAID, non steroid anti inflammatory drug ) for the pain relief. This drug is available over the counter is some locations else you would need a prescription.

Hope my answer is adequate and informative.