Why is Primolut N prescribed after insertion of mirena coil ?

Following insertion of the mirena coil I have been prescribed to take one primolut n 5mg per day for 30 days. By taking one primolut daily will this prevent me from getting a period until I have completed all primolut tablets? I would be due a period in the middle of taking primolut tablets
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 21 hours later

Primolut is a progestrone hormone that helps in reducing bleeding. If you may have been having irregular or heavy bleeding after the coil insertion,then you were prescribed this drug. Taking it for long periods,will cause cessation of bleeding and yes, you menses may be postponed. You will get your menses about a week after you stop taking the drug.

If you desire your period,then you will need to stop a few days before your expected date.Or complete the course and you will bleed eventually.

If you have any more follow up queries,please write back.

Follow-up: Why is Primolut N prescribed after insertion of mirena coil ? 2 hours later

Thank you for your response. I need to be absolutely clear so my apology for further clarification. Do I understand correctly that by taking only one primolut tablet daily for the full thirty days of my prescription, I will NOT get any menses until I stop taking the one tablet of Primolut daily. You say in your response that "your menses may be postponed". Basically my only query is that by taking only one primolut daily, will this ensure that I do not get menses until I stop the primolut tablet. Is one primolut tablet daily sufficient to stop my menses until I finish the prescription? Other websites recommend taking three primolut daily so please clarify. I am currently in the middle of the prescription of primolut and feel that my menses will arrive shortly. Confused
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 minutes later
Hi again,

Let me clarify. The delay in the menses depends on the level of progesterone hormone in the blood. Usually 10 mg per day is sufficient. But it depends on when the tabs were started. You need to start the tabs at least a week before your expected date.

"If you start earlier than that then 5 mg should be enough as the drug is taken for a longer period of time and that allows the levels of hormone to increase even with a lower dose".

So if you have started taking the tablets 'at less than a week before your expected date', 10 mg per day ( 2 tablets of 5 mg) is needed to cause postponement. You might get some PMS symptoms but usually the drug is effective.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Should you have more concerns, please write back to me.

Wish you good health

Thanks and Regards,