Why is Novelon prescribed after follicles seen in sonography for IVF treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
good morning, i had my period on 2 nd of November 2013 , on 12th of November i consult my doctor for ivf treatment , after sonografy she found follicles in both the ovaries. she prescribed novelon tablet (desogestrel and ethinyl estradiol tablets USP). So i curious to know why this tablet has been prescribed. Also tell me we miss to take tablet for one day then what to do?????
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: Combined oral contraceptive pills Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Novelon is a combined oral contraceptive pill. PCOD presents with hormonal imbalance, anovulation etc symptoms. Novelon helps in regularization of the hormonal levels. But during the period of usage of novelon pregnancy is not possible. If you miss one pill: - Within 24 hours, you can take that tablet. - If 24 hours over, you can take two pills in the next day. But have to use additional method of contraception for one week. -Missing the pill can lead to withdrawal bleeding. But this will subside soon. -You can continue the remaining pills as usual. Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion. Take care.

Follow-up: Why is Novelon prescribed after follicles seen in sonography for IVF treatment? 19 minutes later
can ivf be done without downregulation stage or not

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Can be done, but chances of success may decrease Detailed Answer: Hi, Down regulation with combined hormonal pills is done for around 2 months in preparation for IVF. This will help for development of multiple follicles when IVF is started. So as you are having PCOD also, taking hormonal pills can help for both the purposes. Without down regulation also, IVF can be planned. But the chances of success may decrease. Take care.

Follow-up: Why is Novelon prescribed after follicles seen in sonography for IVF treatment? 15 days later
MY DOCTOR HAD PRESCRIBED ME FERTICYST TABLET ALONG WITH NOVELON . I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW THE REASON OF PRESCRIPTION OF FERTICYST TABLET. I AM PREPARING FOR IVF. AND I AM HAVING PCOD

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 14 hours later
Brief Answer: In increasing insulin sensitivity Detailed Answer: Hi, Ferticyst contains n acetylcysteine. PCOD presents with irregular menstrual cycles, anovulation, insulin resistance etc. Contraceptive pills help in regularization of hormonal levels. But they are not that much effective in correcting the insulin resistance. So n acetylcysteine is used for this purpose. N acetylcysteine helps in increasing the insulin sensitivity. And also it enhances the effect of the ovulation induction drugs. Take care.