Why is Cefuroxime Axetil taken for positive semen culture?

Question
what is the indication for cefuroxime axetil tablets 500mg twice a day for 20 days when semen culture is positive
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please, can you provide the culture results? Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for trusting us with your health query. I am so sorry to hear about this positive semen culture. This most likely represents an infection if the sample was correctly collected and free of any contamination. Culture results always identify the germ and the antibiotic that can kill the germ. Based on these results, the most convenient would be selected and prescribed. If you can provide the results to me, then I will interpret it fully to you. Cefuroxime acts on so many different germs that we cannot go speculating. Please, upload the results as an attachment and I will get back to you. I wish you well. Thanks. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Why is Cefuroxime Axetil taken for positive semen culture? 32 minutes later
i dont know the culture results.is it possible to predict what kind of infection it might be

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 5 hours later
Brief Answer: Unlikely Detailed Answer: The spectrum of coverage of this drug is very large. It is used to treat severe infections caused by gram negative organisms in the respiratory tract, urogenital tract, bones/joints, skin, etc. It also treats some gram positive cocci. Only a culture can isolate the exact germ because this drug can kill over 50 different germs. However, this is most likely an infection in the genital organs. Hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.

Follow-up: Why is Cefuroxime Axetil taken for positive semen culture? 9 days later
what sort of infection in the genital organs most commonly

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer: Please, can you reword the question! Detailed Answer: Hi and thanks for the follow up. I am afraid I didn't understand this follow up question well. The most common cause of infections in the genital organs are gonorrhea, chlamydia, Escherichia coli, ureaplasma urealyticum , mycoplasma, etc. I hope this helps. I wish you well. Dr. Ditah, MD.