Why is Alivher prescribed during pregnancy?

Mar 2013
I am 31 weeks pregnant and recently suffered a condition wherein amniotic fluid levels had decreased to almost half all of a sudden. I had 3 injections each as IV drips of 1.Alamin SN 200ml injection(Nutritive infusion of pure and crystaline Amino Fuilds) - Allbert XXXXXXX 2.Invert Sugar Injection 500ml(10% Fructose in water) I am also being given following tablets 1.Amino-fit(Amino Acid and Minerals)- Sanofi Pharma-1 times a day 2.Argihope(L-Arginine)-Corona Remedies- 3 time a day 3.Ecosprin 75(Asprin Delayed Release) -1 time day Today the doctor added 1. Alivher( Sildenafil Effervescent)- Akumentis Health care - 3 times a day. I looked over for this drug on internet it indicates that this is some kind of sexual stimulant. I am wondering what this has to do at this stage. Does this have to do with blood flow to the fetus. Pl review the medication and any side effects to my baby or me. Thanks
Posted Wed, 19 Mar 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: SAFE TO TAKE SILDANEFIL Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. THe ultrasound report mentions 34 - 35 weeks pregnancy, and you have said you are 31 weeks pregnant ? Please clarify this in the first place. Next, the amniotic fluid levels are quite low in your case, less than 6 is oligohydramnios of a worrying degree. With low levels of fluid, the baby gets jeopardized, now for the medications - 1. Amino fit contains amino acids that are important for amniotic fluid formation 2. Argihope has arginine that dilates blood vessels and improves flow to the baby. 3. Ecosprin also has similar action and improves blood flow to the baby. Regarding your query on ALivher ( sildanefil ) , yes it is commonly used as a sexual stimulant, however its basic effect is that it increases blood flow and perfusion by dilating the blood vessels. So yes, it will significantly increase blood flow to the baby, and is a proven treatment agent for treating oligohydramanios ( decreased amniotic fluid levels ). Please take the prescription without any doubts. Am attaching a link here for your perusal, that will clear your doubts about Sildanefil. It is in scientific terminology, but the comments in the conclusion section will be followed by you - There would be no side effects to the baby. Get the ultrasound and Doppler repeated in a week. If the amniotic fluid levels further decline or the colour changes on Doppler deteriorate, the baby would need to be delivered urgently by C section. Keep a tab on the baby's movements ( count for one hour each after breakfast, lunch and dinner - totally 3 hours , by lying on the left lateral side , the total of the 3 hours should be atleast 10 movements ). Drink atleast 4 - 5 litres of fluids daily, maximizing water intake. All the best Please feel free to discuss further.