Why have I started spotting after delivery?

Hi I am 5 months Postpartum and have had discharge
Since giving birth which has a slight odour and is sometimes white sometimes yellow The discharge is enough for me to wear panty liners and I have still not started my period . I am combine feeding my baby mostly formula and about 3 breastfeeds a day the discharge does not make me itch.
Posted Wed, 5 Dec 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Given that you are still breast-feeding to some extent, it is not suprising that you have not gotten a period. If you have had unprotected intercourse, it is never a bad idea to check a pregnancy test.

When you are breast-feeding, there are lower levels of vaginal estrogen which might predispose you to recurrent vaginal infections. The two most common infections are yeast and BV, or bacterial vaginosis.

Yeast infections are very common, so one thing you could start now is an over-the-counter yeast cream. If this works, great. If it does not, then a visit to your doctor is in order to evaluate for other causes of infection.

Yeast infections do not always itch, and the discharge you are describing could very well be from yeast.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions!!